We were thankful that so many people took the time to stop by our Oral Cancer Check – presented by Sirius Benefit Plans, on April 29, 2017. A total of 103 people were screened. One went to immediate biopsy and follow-up this morning and 7 are scheduled for possible biopsy and/or follow-up this week and 1 referral to their GP.
These numbers tell us that we have more work ahead, as we continue to raise awareness about Oral Cancers.
When in doubt, get checked out?
- A sore on the lip or in the mouth that does not heal.
- A small ulcer which looks like a common canker sore.
- A white or red patch on the gums, tongue or lining of the mouth.
- Unusual bleeding, pain or numbness in the mouth.
- A sore throat that does not go away, or a feeling that something is caught in the throat.
- Difficulty or pain with chewing or swallowing.
- Swelling of the jaw that causes dentures to fit poorly or become uncomfortable.
- A change in the voice and/or pain in the ear.